WEIGHT LOSS TREATMENTS – SOUTH TEXAS LAP-BAND
Where Are Surgeries Performed?
Dr. del Pino has privileges to perform Lap-Band and gastric bypass at Rio Grande Regional Hospital (RGRH) which is designated as a Center of Excellence (COE) for treatment of the morbidly obese. Mission Regional Medical Center, Which holds a Joint Commission National Quality Approval Award Is another option for your surgery.
All McAllen / Harlingen weight loss surgery patients without exceptions must complete extensive mandatory workup to minimize the chance of complications and maximize safety and excellent outcomes of weight loss surgery. The workup is the same for all weight loss surgery procedures.
- Psychology or psychiatry evaluation: mandated by insurance companies to make sure you understand what surgery is all about.
- Nutrition evaluation: to assess your nutritional knowledge and status.
- Physical therapy evaluation: to assess your mobility and plan for post-operative work-up.
- EGD and biopsy: Dr. del Pino evaluates the anatomy of your stomach and rule out diseases of the stomach.
- Pulmonary clearance: requires pulmonary function tests and chest x-ray. May require additional sleep studies if the specialist suspects that you suffer from sleep apnea.
- Cardiac clearance: requires EKG and lipid panel. May require additional testing including 2D-Echo and/or stress test to assess the fitness of your cardiovascular system.
- Pre-operative anesthesia evaluation. The specialist who will put you to sleep during surgery meets with you before surgery and reviews all the pre-operative work-up information to determine the best and safest anesthesia for you.
- Pre-op lab work.